"Kedamono's face...looks like his mother's."
This is a highly trafficked page! Before editing this article, please do other editors the courtesy of reading through the full contents of the page and the wiki's policy.
Edits made against wiki policy may lead to a temporary or permanent block.
Not to be confused with Papi.
Popee (ポピー) is an apprentice clown in Wolf Circus and the protagonist of the show.
Standing at 5'4" (165.5cm), Popee has blond hair and dark blue eyes. Underneath his hat, Popee keeps his hair in two small pigtails. He wears a white and pink/red striped onesie with a longish cat tail, along with a pink rabbit hat and a blue satchel.
Popee appears to have a really short tempered, jealous, and insane personality throughout the show.
He wants to be better than everyone else in the circus, as proven by showing acts of jealousy, for example, toward Papi when he was able to complete a trick that Popee was not able to do successfully. It's the same with Kedamono, who suffers the most from his violent outbursts. However, despite the violence he directs towards him, Popee does not actually hate Kedamono. In fact, he feels less alone when near Kedamono. Popee is self-centered, but he is also lonely.
The reason Popee misbehaves and treats others the way he does is because of jealousy.
Despite his behavior towards others, Popee appears to be fond of his sister, Marifa. He apparently is unaware of her true, devilish nature and thinks she is without fault. It's possible they aren't blood-related.
Popee seems to get frustrated often. In a tweet, Ryuji Masuda noted that, in Japan, people have a fear that they won't be loved if they don't get good results or high achievements, and that this creates much fear and anxiety. He says this is how Popee feels, as well, except that his frustration and fear become insanity.
Sometimes, Popee gets so caught up in himself that he self-destructs.
Popee is very prone to loneliness, as can be seen in episode 37 as well as many other instances where Popee seems to avoid any situation that involves being left on his own. While it has been officially stated that his biggest fear is 'indifference' on others' part, this may have been a mistranslation by the machine translator Wakako Masuda uses; it's safe to assume his biggest fear might be loneliness instead.
Where it has been confirmed in the past that Popee is male, a recent thread from Wakako Masuda suggests that, while Popee was said to be a boy, his gender is more complex than "male or female". He does not want to commit to a label of "male" or "female", and instead just wants to do what he wants. This means his gender is unknown—and up to the interpretation of fans.
Despite this, Popee has been referred to with he/him pronouns in the past (and in the thread mentioned). This does not make him male.
- Papi is Popee's father. Popee refuses to believe this, however.
- As stated by Ryuji Masuda, Popee has no romantic experience and does not know if he likes men or women.
- Popee has died 28 times throughout the entire series.
- Popee is the same height as his creator (5' 4"/165.5cm)
- Popee has a little sister named Marifa, though she does not appear in the show.
- Ryuji Masuda has stated on his twitter that he intends to draw a parody comic centering on Popee's and the other characters' high school days. This spin-off now has a title: Chinchikurin
- Popee's Chinchikurin counterpart is Hanabishi Kuruwaya.
- Popee was raised by an unknown woman (perhaps a nanny), due to his Father being a wandering performer.
- It's unknown what happened to Popee's Mother or who she is, but she is alive.
- Popee's tail is fake.
- Popee is capable of speech.
- Popee, as the rest of the cast, was designed by Wakako Masuda. When asked if Popee has a nationality, she said he was created with the image of an American. Despite this, his nationality is Japanese.
- In episode 37, Popee is shown setting a table with various foods. This may indicate he knows how to cook.
- Popee uses male pronouns.
- Popee's birthday is April 1st.
- When Popee grows up, he becomes a scientist (Dr. Popee), and sells Papi's soul to the demon Boron (oh! Jesus) in order to create a robot.
- When fans saw the design for 30 year old Popee, they asked, "Did Popee give up on his circus dream?" and the creator replied, "No, he didn't give up on his dream, but rather, after 13 years, he realized there's no live audience in the desert."
- During Popee's creation, Ryuji Masuda was asked, "If Popee's invincible, why can't he achieve his dreams?" Ryuji Masuda replied, "Even if you have grand or nuclear power, it's dangerous for an idiot to use it. Regardless of what kind of power you have, if you're insane, you'll cause destruction. And that's what Popee depicts on the show."
- Popee's favorite color is pink.
- Popee's surname is Paraphone (パラーフォーン Paraphone). "Paraphone" is a real english word meaning "communication with the paranormal."
- Popee doesn't really like hugs.
- Popee is "allergic" to Papi.
- Popee plays the drums.
- Popee has run away from home "many times".
- Popee's favorite video games are Undertale and Pikmin.
- If Popee had a voice actor, it would be Etsuko Ichihara. She passed away in 2019.
- Popee's hobby is cooking.
Click here to go to this page's image gallery!